|SPACE TODAY ONLINE COVERING SPACE FROM EARTH TO THE EDGE OF THE UNIVERSE|
|COVER||SOLAR SYSTEM||DEEP SPACE||SHUTTLES||STATIONS||ASTRONAUTS||SATELLITES||ROCKETS||HISTORY||GLOBAL LINKS||SEARCH|
Science Fiction: An Alternative Literature of Ideas
Courtesy of NASA Marshall Space Flight Center Advanced Space Transportation Program
That's what the literature we know as science fiction or sci-fi can bring into your life.
- living under a radically different social and political system made possible by technology based on scientific principles that extend the known laws of nature
- working aboard a city floating in outer space, or on an alien world where humans should not be able to exist
- meeting strange new life forms at the far reaches of the universe or even right here on Earth
- deploying equipment with which you aren't familiar such as psionics, nanotechnology, faster-than-light robots
- seeing the unexpected in the unknown future or a contradictory archeological record in an unrecognizable past
SF, as it sometimes is called, is a broad category of fiction that generally speculates on past, present and future science and technology. Science fiction has been said to be an alternative literature of ideas.
[Editor's note: This Space Today Online website overall is not about fiction and the stories and articles you read here are not science fiction. They are true, real life, and accurate to the best of the editor's ability. This small set of pages about "Science Fiction" is about news of the entertainment side of space and astronomy.]
Science fiction is related to, but not the same as, the fantasy and horror genres. It's unlike fantasy the imaginary elements in sci-fi are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature, even as some elements of a story might still be pure imaginative speculation. SF is writing that is entertaining and rational about alternate possibilities in settings that are contrary to known reality.
Science fiction is enjoyed in numerous formats including books, films, television, theater, video games, artworks and other media:
Science fiction artworks:
- Here's a list of science fiction authors at Wikipedia
- Here's a list of science fiction novels at Wikipedia
- Here's a list of science fiction films at Wikipedia
- Here's the "ultimate" guide to science fiction on the web
- Here's what science fiction is according to Wikipedia.
Science fiction movies:
- Photographer Benedict Campbell predicts human shapes of the future »
This digital artwork may seem retro to the 1980s or even the 1960s, but it is a vision of a sleek future for cyborgs.
Art Gallery at UNCP in SL »
- The movie Star Trek, to debut May 9, 2009, chronicles the early Starfleet careers of future Enterprise starship captain Kirk and his USS Enterprise officers Spock, Scotty, Uhura, McCoy, Sulu, Chekhov, Amanda Grayson, and the Romulan Nero, as well as Captain Pike, the first leader of the USS Enterprise. Here are links to a set of Star Trek trailers:
- #1 Star Trek trailer 1:02
- #2 Star Trek trailer 2:12
- #3 Star Trek trailer 1:15
- #4 Star Trek [Star Trek XI] trailer 2:10
- #5 Star Trek [Star Trek XI] trailer 1:04
- #6 Star Trek [Star Trek XI] trailer 1:10
- #7 Star Trek [Star Trek XI] trailer 1:15
Links courtesy of the Internet Movie Database (IMDb), an amazon.com company
STO Cover Rockets Sattelites Astronuats Shuttles Space Stations Solar System Deep Space Top of this page History Global Links Search STO Questions © 2009 Space Today Online